Alexander Henry reaches island called LaCloche which is inhabited by a large village of Indians.
The timber industry replaces the fur trade industry, settlement moves from Wardrope Island to Old Birch Island (mainland).
Before Chief Shawanosowe, Ogimaa White Porcupine.
The Bond Head Treaty is signed by Chief Shawanosowe.
Chief Shawanosowe and family are listed as residing in Manitowaning.
In September, Chief Wabakekik is the 4th signer of the Robinson Huron Treaty.
Hudson Bay Post located at “French Town”, McGregor Point.
French Trading Post located at French town. Old Village area known as French town.
Survey work on Whitefish River First Nation #4. The size of the reserve recorded in the treaty did not match the expectation of Chief Waubekeke. John Dennis is the surveyor.
In May, Crown approves a lease of a mill located on the Whitefish River First Nation to William Cayley. It is a 21 year lease with an annual rent of $50.
The Manitoulin Treaty is signed by Chief Paibomsai.
The treaty is signed by Ogimaa Beness, Baibomsai and Keg-hik-god-beness all members of Whitefish River Band.
August 19, a surrender of the northern portion of Whitefish River is taken. The surrendered land is sold for the benefit of the band.
Chief Baibomsai and his daughters are recorded as residents on the mainland reserve of Whitefish River.
Band surrenders North portion of reserve to government.
Chief Paibomsai writes a letter to Governor General, sites 7 generations of chiefs that he is told about.
Chief John Nahwegahbow protests sale of islands by the Crown. A letter is sent to the Governor General.
Whitefish River First Nation send petition to Indian Branch seeking reassurance about their reserve. They trace their chiefs from Shawanosowe, Waubekeke, Ogimaa Benais to Baibomsai.
Chief John Nahwegahbow is the first Chief to receive pay as Chief, $50/year.
The band arrange that their chief be paid $50 annually.
Whitefish River receives formal education.
Buchner buys LaCloche Island.
Protest sale of LaCloche Island by Chief John Nahwegahbow to Governor General.
School is operated in Whitefish River First Nation.
Arthur Manitowashing, son of Baibomsai and grandson of Shawenouseway calls LaCloche Asin-ma-twai-wai, “Gives oral history of Bell Rocks”.
79 members are living on Whitefish River #4.
August 21 Band members are no longer receiving 1862 treaty interest money despite having been party to the treaty.
Chief James Nahwegahbow writes letter requesting band be allowed to retain Birch Island (Wardrop Island).
Railway goes through Whitefish River First Nation.
Settlement movies from old Birch Island to the western part of the mainland, which we now know as Whitefish River First Nation.
WRFN known as Ponsett Station.
Hawkin’s Saw mill site established until 1980’s.
1920’s to 1930’s
Anglican Church switches to Roman Catholic.
The first post master is Augustine McGregor.
Highway 68 runs through community.
Prior to 1931 the school is located in the small white church.
Shawanosowe School is located on the Bay of Islands Road.
University of Michigan, Dr. E. Greenmail takes human remains.
Shawanosowe School, Christmas Concerts begin.
1940 – 1942
Church built, St. Gabriel La Lemonte.
August 1-3, President Franklin D. Rosevelt is vacationing in Whitefish River. Some community members are guides on his fishing trips in our waters. His vacation is just prior to the historic Québec conference.
1940 – 1950
Old Cemetery closes at old village road. New cemetery opens at current location.
1960’s – 1970’s
Television series “Adventures in Rainbow Country” is filmed at Rainbow Lodge in Whitefish River.
Americans buy islands in McGregor Bay and Bay of Islands.
Rebecca McGregor and Victoria McGregor are the first two women to become councillors in Whitefish River.
Art Nahwegahbow is chief and also had a part on the Television series, “Adventures in Rainbow Country”
1960 – 1965
The road that runs through Whitefish River is widened.
Canada Cement searches for lime stone in the Old Village Road area.
October 8th, logo is changed from Indian hear to a river with a birchbark canoe and birch trees.
Whitefish River’s first Logo designed by Nancy Jacko.
Lafarge is established in the Community.
School name is changed from Birch Island Day School to Shawanosowe School.
First Winter Carnival.
Whitefish River First Nation is quarantined for virus diphtheria.
Old community hall is the Band Office today.
Redesign of current community logo.
A series of films are shot in the Community.
Dave Nahwegahbow is the first Lawyer from the community.
Whitefish River joins first Tribal Council in Canada, UCCM under Chief James McGregor.
Leona Nahwegahbow is the first woman chief elected in Whitefish River First Nation.
Health centre is located beside band office.
1985 – 1990
The railway that ran through Whitefish River First Nation is gone.
1988 – 1990
WRHN Community Centre is built.
May 19th, 25 year anniversary of the Administration Office.
710 area settlement of land.
New water treatment plant.
Fibre optics goes through Whitefish River First Nation via Hwy 6.
New board posted on Hwy 6.
Reconstruction of POW WOW grounds, new arbor built, located at sunshine alley.
WRFN first department is constructed.
June 11, Lieutenant Governor James Bartleman visits Shawanosowe School and reads a story to the children.
Veterans Memorial established.
New community landfill site.
Community colours Blue and White re-established as well as up-dated community flag.
New housing in village using CMHC (55 units).
Return of human remains from the University of Michigan taken in 1933.
Whitefish River First Nation sends their first girls team to the Little NHL. Thirteen young girls aged 12-14, donned their red and white Thunderwolves jerseys and proved that they belonged in the tournament.
June 18, the Stanley Cup arrives in Birch Island for the annual minor hockey banquet.
New Maple Height sub-division built.
Band Finalized 20 year capital plan, 2005 – 2025
New Shawanosowe School opens on Maple Heights.
Whitefish River Hosts U.O.I. (Union of Ontario Indians) Grand Council.
Grand re-opening of community centre.
Grand re-opening of New Rainbow Lodge, Chief Franklin Paibomsai, Violet McGregor and Carol Hughes are present.
Shaking tent ceremonies are held at Rainbow Lodge.
Whitefish River First Nation appears in the book, VISITS WITH LORD STANLEY.
New health centre opens in Whitefish River First Nation on Rainbow Ridge.
AFN declares a National Day of protest. The start point is at WRFN and there is a gathering of FN’s at the community hall.
Youth Centre located in Health Centre building.
Construction of new water treatment plant.
Whitefish River host 39th Annual Little NHL Tournament.